The Union of North American Vietnamese Student Associations (UNAVSA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, non-partisan, community-based organization. UNAVSA is dedicated to cultivating the next generation of leaders who will serve as stewards of the Vietnamese community.
Officially formed in 2004, student leaders from Southern California and New England recognized an unmet need within the Vietnamese youth community focused on the development of the next generation of leaders. From this collaboration, the Union of North American Vietnamese Student Associations (UNAVSA) was created to develop and organize a large, supportive network throughout the United States and Canada. The first conference was held in Boston, Massachusetts in 2004, where over 200 young activists from across the country and from different community-based organizations came together to develop the foundation for what UNAVSA has accomplished to date. With the first election of eleven regional representatives and five executive officers, the delegates outlined the structure that has evolved into the Council of Regional Representatives, the Executive Board, and the President’s Council.
To empower the next generation of Vietnamese leaders with a passion for service, propensity for leadership, and self-awareness with the intent of advocating for progress in the North American Vietnamese community.
To be a model organization developing proud connected self aware leaders as a means to create a united and thriving Vietnamese community.
- Bringing together young professionals and students to build unity and solidarity among North American Vietnamese youths as well as in the international Vietnamese community
- Encouraging and recognizing the growth of leadership and service
- Creating and maintaining a framework for established VSAs and start-ups to share common resources
- Cross-promote regional events, and learn from one another
- Advocating Vietnamese and North American Vietnamese social justice issues
- Promoting Vietnamese and North American Vietnamese cultural consciousness
- Encouraging interaction, participation, and activism in Vietnamese-American and Canadian communities